THE COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENT OF A PRESTIGIOUS DWELLING WHICH IS LISTED AS A SITE OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Westward was constructed in 1928 in the style of the Arts and Crafts Movement. It dominates large grounds and enjoys elevated views to St Brelade’s Bay. Its setting and quality make it one of the most desirable houses in Jersey; and quite a challenge to work with!
The principal concept of the project was to respect and enhance the quality of the main house as defined by its two gable ends which ‘bookend’ the entrance loggia and terrace above. New wings were added either side to balance each other and frame the listed part of the building. The original Crittall windows and brick piers were painstakingly restored; the existing clay plain tile roof was cleaned. Internally, ‘run’ plaster ceiling coves were repaired and new plaster and lathe ceilings introduced.
The new wings are very much designed to be subservient to the main house, yet still work within the themes of the Arts and Crafts Movement. The metalwork and joinery items have maintained the level of craftsmanship throughout the property.
Great design effort has been made to ensure the landscaping and interiors associated with Westward are all integrated with the building architecture.